Flitter Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for open and honest discussion from those of us just starting our careers in the film industry. There are no taboo subjects and there are no stupid questions, this is the place for all of us who are still learning.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Working for free - why shouldn't it work both ways?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Majik

Majik

Working for free - why shouldn't it work both ways? Empty
PostSubject: Working for free - why shouldn't it work both ways?   Working for free - why shouldn't it work both ways? EmptySat Jul 09, 2011 1:11 am

Here's a thought for everyone...

I'm only really beginning my acting journey, despite plenty of entertainment industry experience and TV work, so I'm taking on as many low/no budget jobs as I can to get footage for my showreel. The way I look at it is that I am speculating to accumulate.

However, as an actor, I'm as much an integral part of the low/no budget flick as anyone else, and feel that my contribution is just as important as the director and the rest of the crew. And yet, I am generally tied in to producing what the film requires (for obvious reasons Smile ) which may not be the footage I am looking for ideally, or doesn't show me in my best light (and, as I'm discovering is the unfortunate norm, it doesn't look like I'll be getting the footage from half the shoots I do).

Is there a good shout for the tables to be turned occasionally, and an actor advertising for a no budget shoot for their showreel? Possibly get together with some starting writer and crew to produce something of half decent quality? It seems to me that everyone comes out of it much the same, except the final product is geared towards the actor.

And let the shouting begin...
Back to top Go down
http://www.mikeconnell.co.uk
Kristian

Kristian

Working for free - why shouldn't it work both ways? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Working for free - why shouldn't it work both ways?   Working for free - why shouldn't it work both ways? EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 10:16 pm

That's not a bad idea at all. Just deliberately shoot showreel material, like a couple of powerful scenes by themselves. It's certainly worth a thought althoug it depends if youre prepared to take on a producers role, which is a stress and a half.

But if you can get a group of people, writer, director, camera and so forth who all just need showreel material then I don't see why that wouldn't work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flitterfilms.co.uk/

Working for free - why shouldn't it work both ways?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Flitter Forum :: Caley Powell Casting Chat :: Actor Chatter-
Jump to: