A place for open and honest discussion from those of us just starting our careers in the film industry. There are no taboo subjects and there are no stupid questions, this is the place for all of us who are still learning.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

What do you want to see from a workshop with me?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Caley Powell

PostSubject: What do you want to see from a workshop with me?   Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:01 am

Hi all!

I have been asked to do a workshop with The Actors Guild and I can do a workshop about anything I want.

As I want to help actors, which is the reason I agreed to do a workshop I'd like to hear your views on what you want to see in the workshop.

What workshops have you gone to in the past and what did you like and what didn't you, this will serve as both a learning curve for me and a chance to mould your own perfect workshop.

All views and points will be taking on board so don't hesitate to post!

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.flitterfilms.co.uk, www.caleypowellcasting.co.uk
KirenSafeen

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to see from a workshop with me?   Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:16 am

You could do monologue, you could explain the details of auditioning and open casting call or an audition tape. Explain what the casting directors looks for. It would be even better to explain the idea that being rejected at an audition should not influence a decision to stop acting. Help the actors cover different genre of drama whether that would be comedy, tragedy ect. Help with basic acting skills and most importantly help with confidence. Teach the principal or traditional stage movement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Majik

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to see from a workshop with me?   Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:40 pm

Well, I'm not going to hide my inexperience, so as a greenhorn, a workshop on simply how best to present yourself professionally would be invaluable. I have my own (slightly maverick) ideas - but what does a casting director expect from their potentials? What does a good resume look like? Is a good headshot just a good headshot, and are people putting too much emphasis on them? Is a website a requirement now? What is the true importance of Spotlight? Have we reached the point where an online showreel is an expectation? Once you're in the door to an audition, what can you do to best show what you are capable of, and how to take positives if you aren't what they are looking for.

Should only take a few minutes, right? Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikeconnell.co.uk
juststeve

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to see from a workshop with me?   Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:22 pm

I think a workshop sounds like a great idea and i think it's difficult to find something that is going to help everybody as everyone's experience/career is different.
Personally i find that it's more about being comfortable within yourself both in terms of how you look and how you act.
Often casting directors will make up their minds extremely quickly (within a few seconds) as to whether you have the correct look so more often than not it's about how you come across with your personality/whether you can work with them/your humour etc.
It was hard (certainly for me at first) to think of myself as a commodity that needs to be sold, but that is exactly whats happening and although agents etc are there to help, it really comes down to you. How you act, how you percieve and get on with others etc.
I know that maybe hard or impossible in terms of teaching this in a workshop but i feel it's far more important than for example reading scripts or practising your art, although of course this is important. (In fact i've found that being over prepared can sometimes be a hinderance as the director etc may want to see you improvise, so being comfortable and confident with yourself leads to being able to think on the spot and not be caught out at castings)
It helps to give a much clearer and honest picture of you and how you aproach different situations so i believe being yourself is key. You're not going to be liked by everyone and more often than not, not getting a job is nothing to do with you, but keep positive and believing in yourself.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.stevespiersactor.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you want to see from a workshop with me?   

Back to top Go down

What do you want to see from a workshop with me?
Page 1 of 1